Have you ever encounter vague requirements? What are usually the issues? I will have a standard strategy to handle vague requirements. This is a quick and systematic approach to manage such requirements.
- Identify the stakeholders for the requirements.
- Get sample data for the requirements. This can be existing data or copies of excel records.
- Consolidate user communications and understand interactions of users and the requirements and the sample data.
- Agile or prototype to elicit sample data or to clarify the requirements.
- Separate clarity and vague once you identify each part of the requirements.
- You should be able to proceed on the clear requirements and put the vague part into the backlog.
- Iterate the approach from Step 1.
Requirement gathering is never straightforward. Those documented are usually clear requirement while the vague part exists somewhere out there. It takes a lot of practice to clarify vague requirements. You can consider to approach it in a systematic and agile manner.