In TMS (Transportation Management System), the fun part is actually exception handling. Logistics is an ancient process that is designed to be simple and straightforward. The key model is the movement of goods from point A to point B. Complexity comes with the introduction of trade, data and system.
The Complex Exception in System
Update Failed! The record is locked. You are updating on data with a past date.System Log
In the past, users can amend any paper records easily even though it have been submitted. Coming to the system world, data can be locked once it is in its past date. Although this provides data integrity and capture the love of your auditor, the real operational world hates it.
Building your Ideal Exception Model
- Exception handling needs an exceptionally good team of SME (Subject Matter Expert).
- Your solution must scale for exception with ease.
- Exception requirements are not fixed and often are unarticulated.
- A good exception model evolves from many iterations of design.
- Use Agile to learn and manage your exception model.
Exception handling is the most complex for most products and applications. This is due to the management of the unknowns and the gaps of handling exceptions in the real world. Although new technologies like ML (Machine Learning) aim to improve exception model, we are still light years from the science fiction we watch in drama. In the meantime, the best way is to invest in your resources by increasing their domain knowledge.