Unknowingly, I have spend more than 5 years with TMS (Transportation Management System) using OTM (Oracle Transportation Management) system. Overall, I enjoy the ease of configuration to deploy Agile solution using technique of DevOps. The control of global TMS solution also create high degree of adaptability for the team.
How to Agile your TMS
- TMS have short transit window. It is favorable to adopt Agile.
- Do design for change rather than design on sign-off requirements.
- Configuration solution with custom plugins can cater for all TMS scenarios.
- Determine your Agile components.
When to DevOps
- DevOps complement Agile approach. This suits TMS because TMS contains many exceptions in the real world.
- Use DevOps to close your loop in Agile implementation.
- Consider to include monitoring tools or reports and analyse your data to determine your solution effectiveness.
- TMS is usually 20% localisation. You may choose to DevOps on these localisation.
In summary, TMS needs a good product platform. You will also need to train your your TMS team to be Agile and DevOps ready.