The innovation have been faster and time to market for products are shorter. Consumers become flicker minded with lower switch costs in eCommerce. However, the gap between between Business and Information Technology (IT) keeps widening. Business IT Alignment is a topic of interest in the field of Information Systems (IS) and Enterprise Architecture. There are plenty of theories and research on this. Here are my short checklist based on my experiences and exposure.
Business IT Alignment Checklist
- Do a SWOT analysis (Strength Weakness Opportunities Threats).
- Stakeholders Analysis, know who you are dealing with.
- Prepare your USP (Unique Selling Preposition).
- Be strategic, tactical and operationally ready.
- Remember to walk the talk!
It is a simple checklist but it will take years before you are capable to arrive at point 3. Business IT Alignment will need to come from your values and yourself. With shared values, you can build a team and vision. A strong vision will guide you to align common goals with business.